Notes from the first half:
- PSU comes out throwing downfield! Offense is churning, picking apart the Iowa D! Great drive!! Kinlaw fumbles... Enter Royster.
- Morelli looks good. His problem again is staring down receivers. It almost looks like he sees an open receiver, and his brain takes 2-3 seconds to coordinate his body. When he was trying to go through his progression, found an open receiver, and had to throw the ball with haste, he was inaccurate. Otherwise, he hit some receivers in stride, threw over the middle. The one play that killed me was a wide open Royster down the sideline on a screen. He was overthrown by 10 yards. On a screen.
- The defense absolutely owned the Iowa offense in every facet, holding them to 3 first downs.
- The most blessed drive was the last one of the 1rst half. About a minute left, PSU starting deep in its own territory. Morelli runs the no-huddle like Elway, and drives the team down into FG distance. Kelly splits the uprights from 53 yards. Absolute ecstasy. For one drive, everything clicked and PSU looked how i thought it should.
- Norwood flips the ball at the guy who tackled him. 15-yard unsportsmanlike. I still agree with the call-I think Norwood's intention was to just talk some ish to the defender, and made the mistake of flipping the ball near him. The defender walked into it, but still, you can't make these kinds of decisions when you are 0-2 in the B10.
Notes from the second half
- PSU still dominant. 20-0. Morelli is driving down the field and throws a pass to Williams on the sideline. Well thrown ball, and the Iowa safety makes an excellent play on the ball. Was Morelli at fault? Maybe. But it is a throw I can see most good QBs try to make.
- Iowa airs it out, and beats King downfield. Short drive, ending up in an Iowa TD. King is getting too complacent. 20-7. First nerves setting in.
- Next drive, Morelli gets flushed, and makes an unforgivable pass into triple coverage. Pick. Officially nervous. The PSU D comes up huge, reminding me why I should have faith in them.
- The offense, now featuring a more focused Kinlaw, goes right down the field and easily puts the ball in the endzone. Iowa is physically and mentally beaten. PSU wins, snapping a 5 game losing streak to Iowa.
First and foremost, the defense was stellar with the line blowing up the Iowa OL. The DTs were both studs-Iowa had no inside running game. Kudos to them. The LBs were left free to roam and finished up whatever the DL left over.
Derrick Williams officially has his confidence back. Bell should thank Williams for bailing him out after that drop in the endzone.
Morelli followed the same pattern as the Illinois game. Start competent, get confident, screw up in the second half. He did look improved in that he didn't give the game to Iowa, so bully for him.
Again, we need to platoon the RBs. Royster and Kinlaw make a very good combination. Royster just needs to stay healthy.
This game was a definite confidence booster to the OL. They did struggle at times in the passing game, but excelled in opening holes for both RBs.
Next week, we get Wisconsin at home. All players should be extremely motivated to beat a ranked team for homecoming.