Figure 1-1: I will knock down your pregnant wife to get to one of these
Should be served on/with: Amoroso roll. This is not negotiable. Toppings include extra sharp cheese, peppers (roasted or hot), raw onion, and/or broccoli rabe.
PSU Tailgates Experienced:
- Boston College 2003
- Blue and White 2005 (people were fighting over the juices. Zac won)
- Temple 2007. Bought too much, we didn't have the table space, and limited time killed this one. plus, when the game was over, John G stepped on it while he was stealing rolls from me. Asshat.
Suggested Purchase Amount: 5 lbs will easily feed 15-20 people
Lennys Italian Deli
900 Fayette Street
Conshohocken, PA 19428
Notes: Make sure to tell them that you are taking it to a tailgate within a certain time frame. This way, they can freeze it for you if you don't have refridgeration means. Have lots of napkins ready.
- It's pork. On an Amoroso roll.
- It is incredible.
- It's pork.
- Expect non-Philadelphians to shy away from the extra sharp cheese. Harass them.
- Time limit. You'd better eat quick before it soaks through. Shouldn't be a problem (for men), unless you have a slow eater. Screw them, more for you.
- Table limitations. You need some catering equipment.
Implements: Catering tray stand, catering tray, water, tongs, chafers, incendiary device.
Serving Instructions: Let tray of seasoned swine defrost overnight. In the morning, make sure you do all your prep work before heading out, and clearly mark your spot on the table for the stuff. Start early-it takes about an hour to fully heat up.
Conclusion: This was pulled off successfully twice; once by myself, and once by my parents. In both cases, the weather accommodated, and there was plenty of forethought. The Temple game was a nightmare; i bought too much, it was brought out too late, the table was small, and people didn't know what they were doing.
Still when it worked, it was bliss.