Friday, April 25, 2008

Lito News

It's no secret that Lito Sheppard is now being shopped around to the likes of Tampa Bay. He would be a decent fit there. However, I just don't approve of the trade value being offered, namely a second rounder and Michael Clayton.

I just don't see it. Clayton had one good year 3 years ago when he was a rookie. Since then, guvna, as my grandmother would say.

It's also being reported now that St. Louis wants to get in on this hot action. Meh-they really don't have any players worth it, unless they are willing to give up their first round pick, which I doubt is going to happen.

Or maybe, just maybe, I am overestimating the trade worth of an All-Pro corner with injury/toughness problems.

Personally, I kind of would like to see how the trio of Brown, Samuels, and Sheppard would perform together. Hell, we get a good safety, and we might have a pretty formidable defense.

Speaking of draft picks, tomorrow is the first day of the NFL Draft, which is right in my wheelhouse for things I so do love. Classify it under the "flesh market", right next to strippers. My opinion of my Iggles' needs are as follows:

1rst round, 19th pick-need here is either OL or S. Phillips, the All-Conference S from Miami, looks like the best bet right now. He looks great on paper, but I just don't like football players from Miami. Except for Jerome Brown.

However, in looking at his stats and bio, he can cover, hit, catch, and blitz well. He would be a great fit for us.

Otherwise, I say go with Jeff Otah, out of Pitt. Big and nasty, but we will most likely have to offer trade bait at this point ot get him. He will not be available at 19. However, I would be just as happy with Chris Williams out of Vandy.

If none of the above are available, we could go for value with Rogers-Cromartrie. Guy's got all the tools, and he would be learning from all-pros. Or we could trade him away. Whatever they do, the Eagles had best not pull that shit from last year where they trade away the 26th pick to the f'n Cowboys. Who did the Cowboys get? Anthony Spencer, the man two top-5 draft picks (Joe Thomas and Levi Brown) called the "hardest DE to stop". But hey, we got some guy named Kolb.

My final thought is that I cannot believe the amount of people that are stating that the Eagles will be taking a WR with their first round pick. More often than not, first round WR are busts. Ol' Andy tried this once with Freddie Mitchell, with horrible results.

No comments: